Thursday, February 15, 2018

MY TOP 10 ROM-COMS

I'm a sucker for romantic comedies, and while I've tried to coerce the boy into getting in touch with his feminine side by watching some with me, alas, his 15-year-old self says, "Uh, no thanks. I'm going to watch anime on my phone." 

That's okay. I've seen these rom-coms so many times, I feel like I'm in them. Behold, my top 10!


10. Pretty Woman

      If you can get over the whole Cinderella hooker thing and forget the fact that most prostitutes on Hollywood Blvd. wind up dead from an overdose in a back alley somewhere, this is an adorable movie. Why? Because Julia Roberts is freaking adorable in it. Her charm is undeniable. And even though no one watching will ever believe Ms. Roberts is hooker material, she and Richard Gere have great chemistry together.  

9. 50 First Dates

    Many people cannot stomach Adam Sandler films because most of them are, well, dumb, but this one is actually quite endearing. I love Drew Barrymore, and she brings a lot of heart to this role as someone who replays the same day over and over again. The ending always makes me cry, further reinforcing my belief that every woman deserves a man who loves her that much, despite the obstacles. 

8. Crazy, Stupid Love

    A surprisingly insightful film about marriage and relationships, and believing the grass is always greener...This was my first time seeing Emma Stone in anything, and I now have an official fangirl crush on her because she's so damn cute in this. Ryan Gosling pulls off the whole Casanova player thing without being a douchebag, but I gotta say, even if he had been a big ole D-bag, it wouldn't have mattered once he takes off his shirt. Yes, he's that yummy. Meow. 


7. Moonstruck

    I have a special place in my heart for this one, probably because I grew up in an Italian family so I can relate to many of the elements in this movie, and also because they filmed the bakery scenes a block from my childhood home, so that was pretty exciting. Cher is feisty in this one; she does the best slap across the face out of anyone. And anyone who has been married for more than 20 years will appreciate the rocky-patch realism of Cher's parents, the ever talented Olympia Dukakis and Vincent Gardenia. 

6. Love Actually

    You either love it or hate it. People argue it's not a Christmas movie, but I watch it every year during Christmas. There's a storyline for everyone, with a great cast of characters, so unless your heart is made of stone (in which case, Die Hard may be more your speed), I can almost guarantee you'll be singing "All I Want for Christmas Is You" for 2 entire weeks after. If nothing else, watching it for Bill Nighy's cheekiness alone makes it worth it.

5. Hitch

    Kevin James as a leading man? I know, I know, but he pulls it off with a lot of help from Will Smith, who excels in the art of smooth-talking the ladies. And even though supermodels who are thrown into movies usually bomb heavily, Amber Valletta manages to convey a nerdy charm that makes it a bit more believable that she could ever fall for a bumbling idiot like James. 

4. The Proposal

    Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. Enough said.

3. You've Got Mail

     This movie captures that delicate, still somewhat innocent period right before the explosion of the digital age, when you had to wait to get home before you could check your email. Ooooh, the anticipation was positively delicious, and Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks convey it well. Unfortunately, it accurately depicts the downfall of small mom and pop businesses due to being swallowed up by huge corporate entities (an inevitable phenomenon that makes me cry), but if you focus on this enemies-to-friends budding romance, it'll take you back to a kinder, gentler time.    

2. Dirty Dancing

    Where do I start with this one? Bad boy/good girl is one of my favorite tropes and no one does it better than Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey. The dancing, the bodies, the music, the heat between these two...make for one hot film. 

1. When Harry Met Sally

    I've probably seen this movie a thousand times and still, it never gets old. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal are masters of timing. The dialogue is fast, tight, and so spot on, and director Rob Reiner does a fabulous job with the 10-year + time span. The unlikeliest of couples ultimately become the couple you cannot imagine apart, or coupled with anyone else in this friends to lovers story. There is still no better Profession of Love speech than this one by Crystal at the end. Sigh. Swoon.



What are some of your favorites?



Tiffany N. York wishes she lived every day in a romantic comedy, preferably with either of the two Ryans (Reynolds or Gosling), or both. To learn about her two romantic comedies, The Accidental Cougar and The Meatball Mistress, visit her website at tiffanynyorkauthor.com 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment