Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Holidays When You Aren't Quite Into It



It's that time of year again. The time of peace, happiness, Christmas carols, and egg nog. However, it's also that time of year for crowded stores, endless sweets, and empty bank accounts.

Normally I'm not a scrooge. In fact I'm quite the opposite. I usually love Christmas! Everything about Christmas would make me happy. It's always been my favorite time of year. Unfortunately this year I'm just not feeling it.

My girls are now teenagers so the beautiful fantasy of Santa Clause has now disappeared which means a lot of the "magic" of this time of year has dissipated as well. I miss the lists for Santa, the kids writing letters to him, and yes I even miss that damn Elf on a Shelf. It makes my heart sad to see all the pictures of everyone's Elf and ours is tucked away somewhere. Poor Nicky.

As many mothers of teenagers know that the gift requests have also gone from easy toy lists with tons of items to requests of game systems that cost a whopping $300 and that's before the game to actually play! And when you have three teenagers all requesting big ticket items it definitely hurts the wallet. I know they don't have to have everything they ask for but I've always been one to go big or go home on Christmas so that's what we try to do but now instead of seeing tons of gifts under the tree there's only 4 or 5 per teen since everything they want is so pricey. Just takes away the illusion a bit for me.

My husband and I did manage to go take a 'just us' trip up to Opryland Hotel for an evening. It was beautiful BUT also crowded with most people not knowing where they were trying to walk to but all in all it was a nice getaway.





I'm trying to get more in the mood for Christmas as it gets closer but at the same time each day there's something new that I forgot or need to make along with keeping up the house and keeping the teenagers alive. Combine all of that with the day job and I'm just drained of all holiday spirit. Although I'm trying to hide that from my kids.



However, I did manage to add a couple new books to my TBR list. Like I need anymore. But I'm really looking forward to these. Links below....

The Woman in the Window  by A. Finn -- Really looking forward to some down time so I can actually read this. It doesn't release until January 2nd but it's available for pre-order.

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen -- Releasing on January 9th but is available for pre-order. 

The English Wife by Lauren Willig -- I haven't read a historical story in quite some time but this one I'm going to have to. It seems to interesting to pass up.  -- Releasing on January 9th but is available for pre-order.

I know I'm sure I'm driving you nuts since the books mentioned above are all pre-orders so here ya go...

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty -- I can't pass up a book with that title. Just can't. Plus, love her! Available now!


I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season!! Send some cheer and joy my way while you're at it. ;-)

Hugs,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment