Monday, November 20, 2017

When a Writer Stops Writing



I've been writing for a very long time. I believe it started in middle school with short stories and poems. Then I got married, popped out a couple babies, moved out, got divorced, graduated college, then decided to write again.

I've spent the last six years writing off and on. I've even published a few books, then unpublished a few books, then finally left my two favorite novels published on Amazon. It's true what they say, "No one is more critical of you than you."

People ask me why I unpublished some stories and frankly it's because I didn't feel as they were up to par. My heart wasn't in those stories, not really. To really pour my heart and soul into a story it needs my undivided attention. Sure I've written before while having a day job but my day job then was a lot less demanding than it is now. I used to eat, sleep, and breathe my stories but now it's become harder and harder to dive back into that world.

So what's a writer to do when there's nothing to write? Study? Figure out the answers to life's biggest questions? Learn how to paint? Become a conspiracy theorist? Cook? Who knows?

What I do though is blog. Blogging has saved me a few times. Every time I feel that spark begin to light back up again but I don't have the time to dedicate to writing a full blown story I'll blog or write a little and move on. Life has wrapped it's hands around my throat and has taken control between the day job, the family, the house, and studying for my real estate license I'm spread completely thin. So blogging gives me that outlet I so desperately need.

Do I always know what to blog about? Hell no! As I'm typing right now every single word is finding it's way to the screen without much thought put behind it. What you see is what you get. But that's what I like about blogging. It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be edited, it just has to be real. (Some editing may not be a bad idea but nevertheless you get the point.)

I also read. Again, when I can. I try to focus more on the shorter stories or novellas because as bad as it sounds I just don't have the time to dedicate to a full blown novel. Maybe one day I will or maybe during the holidays I'll cram in some reading time but right now I just don't have it unfortunately. I've been desperately wanting to read Colleen Hoover's new book 'Without Merit' but I haven't had a chance to crack open the first page. I've downloaded it though. ;-)

I've fallen in love with the Misadventure series. If you haven't heard of it please go here and look it up --->   Misadventures FB Page

The latest book in this series is Misadventures of a Valedictorian. I haven't read this one yet but the others are fantastic! They have a new book released every week and these stories are full of hotness!!

This is what I believe most writers do who find themselves unable to write. We blog, we read, we spend time on Facebook jealous of those who can still write, we find ourselves at book signings and events soaking in the sweet air of creativity, and we promote the authors that we love. Because that's what this community does for each other. 

Thanks for reading! If you are looking for me I'll be over here eating cake, drinking wine, and attempting to study for this damn real estate exam.



Hugs,
Amber

FACEBOOK: Facebook Link
Instagram: Instagram Link

No comments:

Post a Comment