Thursday, December 18, 2014

Traditions

My favorite part of the holidays is all the amazing traditions families have. My husband and I got married fast. We had a whirlwind courtship and were married in under a year. Yes, we're those people. So our first Christmas together we were married. And had a tree of our very own. With absolutely no ornaments. So we started our own tradition. Each Christmas, including that one, we bought each other an ornament that we knew would be special to the other person. When we had our kids that tradition grew to include them with the thought that when our kiddos left home, they would take their ornaments with them and would never have a bare tree in their homes. Now our tree almost has too many ornaments. But here are my top five:

5: Where the Wild Things Are- I can't help but smile every time we pull this one out of the box. One of my sons spent years obsessed with this book. I would read it to him all the time. The ornament makes me all warm and fussy remembering those days.




4: Fairies- It's a good bet when you find a fairy, angel, or dancer on the tree, she's mine. I love all of them so much, I couldn't pick a favorite. But if I could...this one would probably be it. She's just so lovely and graceful. Sometimes I wonder what her story might be. Who knows, maybe I'll even write one for her some day.








3: Jack Skellington- Not all my ornaments are pretty and delicate and harmless, however. My husband has gotten me several Jack Skellington ones over the years. I even have a Corpse Bride set I adore. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of them. I'll have to get one this year when we put our tree up.




2: Airplanes- It all started with airplanes. The year we married was the ear Hallmark started one of their aviation lines and my husband has been in to aeronautics since he was a kid. So this was the first ornament I ever got him. Kitty Hawk.  The ornament that launched the tradition.




1: Princess Leia in the slave girl costume. Really? Need I say more?








It may not be designer and the lights might not match the ornaments but every inch of our tree reflects us. And I love it. What about you? Do you have a tradition that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside? I'd love to hear about it.  Happy Holidays from all of us to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment