Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Truths and Consequences

“I can’t make you do anything.  Nobody can.  There are always consequences, but if you’re willing to face them you can do whatever you like.” 

I’ll never forget where we were when my mom said those words to me.  We were on the gravel road that led to our home.  I can still smell the chalky thickness of the dust that was blowing up around the car.  What I don’t remember was what’d started the conversation.  I’m guessing my mom wanted me to do something I wasn’t too keen on.  Probably homework or some chore.  But that statement stuck.  I didn’t have to do anything.  Nobody was forcing me to live my life a certain way.  I made the decisions and then I faced the consequences.  It was a powerful realization for a young girl.  And it was a realization that found its way into one of my first books, Dragonborne (released by Samhain on April 27, 2010).

Sophie had grown up in the church.  She’d lived her life to the letter of her church’s law, despite her own personal beliefs.  But when the children in her village start dying, she can’t accept it’s the will of their deity.   And when a dragon helps her discover the true cause of the plague, she has to decide if she’s going to continue living a life ruled by expectations or start following her own convictions regardless of consequence.

It was a powerful story for me to write because it reflected back to the time in my life where I started making conscious decisions.  To the time when I started taking control of my life instead of letting the winds of fate and the expectations of others drive it.   And it’s a story I’m very proud of. 

Blurb:

For her people, she’d sacrifice anything. For her, he’ll sacrifice everything.



When the children of her village start dying of a mysterious plague, Sophie refuses to believe it’s the will of their deity. As the town cleric, she’s always followed the church’s strict rules, but enough is enough. She vows to do anything to find a cure—even if it means defying the church.



The giant black dragon she finds injured and poisoned near the abbey seems beyond her ability to heal. Until he suddenly shifts into a dangerously handsome man who, even in his weakened state, is a temptation beyond her ability to resist.



Reuel has never trusted humans, but this delicate young woman entrances him with more than her beauty. Her bravery, devotion and passion call to his wounded heart, and he’s moved to lend his magic to her cause. Magic that is not only powerful, it’s all too tempting to abuse—something his family has never let him forget.



Sophie is hopeful when Reuel solves the secret of the plague, until one healing uncovers a sickness that runs far deeper than the children’s vulnerable bodies. Now she is being persecuted, and to save her, Reuel may have to become the monster his family believes him to be…


Product Warnings

Contains a stubbornly sexy cleric who’d rather have her hands tied to a headboard than exhibit any self-control, a shape-shifting dragon who’s too busy running from himself to see where he’s going, an epic dragon battle, and sex in the great outdoors.

 Buy Links:

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment