Friday, June 15, 2018

THE YIN-YANG OF SUMMER


School's out for my teen and already, I'm wishing he were enrolled in year-round school. Summers are tough on this single mom writer. He and I constantly battle over whose turn it is to use the internet because of our crappy internet service. Writing love scenes are attempted while listening to him yell at the video game "Fortnite" (the latest rage). Every other hour I hear, "I'm hungry" and all I can think is "Calgon, take me away."

But ah, the smell of blooming jasmine in the air, and the taste of juicy summer fruits, and balmy evenings wearing nothing but shorts and a tank top. These are what I look forward to every year. Not having to wake up early every day or enforce reminders of homework each night.  

However, the boy just got his driving permit yesterday and the first words out of his mouth were, "I'm going to be driving you everywhere, Mom. EVERYWHERE. Every every where. Whenever I'm not in school, I'll drive you." I have an eye doctor appointment today. It's within spitting distance, literally a block away. He insists on driving me. Oy!

Oh, but those lazy days by the pool with friends, sipping cold sangria and barbecuing. Or gorgeous days at the beach that balance the mind and soul. Getting lost in what we specifically call a "beach read" because of its breezy, light-hearted nature.

Yes, as you can see I have a love/hate relationship with summer, but in the end, it's still my favorite season...until Halloween, that is! Mwahaha!

What's everyone else doing this summer? Please comment so I can live vicariously through you.



Tiffany N. York lives in SoCal where the gas prices are as high as the summer temperatures. Sometimes she's diligent about wearing sunscreen and other times, meh. You can visit her website at tiffanynyorkauthor.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment