Friday, May 6, 2016

Captain America: Civil War - Bring on the awesome


Captain America: Civil War. No spoilers here. I promise. I would not ruin it for you. Let me just get down to it and tell you what I thought of the movie.


This movie has everything: Action, comedy, a teeny spot of romance. And angst, oh there is a lot of angst. But it's all good. And I'm not just saying that because I am Team Captain. However, I'll give you a moment to enjoy the awesomeness that is Chris Evans. He's just so darn cute. Those eyes. That voice. Those shoulders. Those biceps! sigh....I'll give you little longer...seriously, I think they deserve their own movie.
Anyway, where was I?  
Having read most of the Civil War cannon, I was interested in seeing how they would weave those storylines into the current Marvel Cinema Universe. In my opinion, I think they did an excellent job. The plot made sense, even more so than in the comics, motivations were understandable. Gold stars! This was the Avengers movie we should have had last year.

Yeah, while we're on that topic. Let's be real. Is this truly a Captain America movie? No. Not really. Is this just another Avengers movie? Kind of. I can definitely see why people would think that.

What this movie truly is is Civil War. Numerous story lines crossing over to create one creative entity. That was the beauty of the graphic novels, and here those elements are delivered in spades.  When the two sides collide it is both epic and horrifying. These are characters you love, and they're going at each other. Drawing blood! Going for the kill. I believe this is the darkest of the Marvel movies. Some of the subject matter is dark and gruesome, and I would not take a young child to see this movie. Some parts left me disturbed. But those nods to the fans throughout the film were worth sitting through more of the difficult times.

Now for my only complaint. The cinematography. What the hell? Someone with a lot of talent choreographed some brilliant fight scenes. And some equally talented people executed them to perfection. Only I could not enjoy them because the camera was all herky-jerky and giving me motion sickness. Why is there this disturbing trend in action movies? I don't need shaky camera angles to make me feel as if I was there in the middle of the action. All you are doing is disrupting my enjoyment of a good fight and making me ill. There is one scene where Captain America, Bucky, and Iron Man are going at it the camera stays still. Watching the fluidity of their movements was awesome, even though I wanted to shout at the screen for them stop trying to kill each other. Stop shaking the camera, and have a good fight scene stand on its own.

As for the newest additions to the MCU- Black Panther and Spider-Man. Both were fantastic. I took Squid with me to the movie and she loved Peter Parker. I mean lllooovvveeeed him. When I told her he was to have his own movie, she squealed. Ah...her first superhero crush. I'm so proud.

Okay, boys and girls. It's late, so I'm going to wrap this up, and leave you to go and enjoy this movie on your own. Perhaps you'll see me at another showing this weekend. Hell, who am I kidding? I already have tickets for Saturday. :)
Until next time!
Anna- The Super Diva


Website- http://annaalexander.net/
Facebook
Twitter

Newsletter
Amazon Page
YouTube 

Instagram- annam.alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment