Thursday, March 5, 2015

The day job verses the dream career

June will mark two years since I quit the day job to pursue my dream of being self employed. The bonus is I get to make something I love into a career. Has it been easy? No, it's hard work and I work more hours now than I ever did at the day job. There never seems to be enough hours in the day.

I started writing with the intent to be published in 2008. There were a few factors that drove my decision. The main one was discovering paranormal romance. While reading everything I could get my hands on something opened up. Worlds of vampires and witches formed in my mind and my muse sat up and said, "Girl, we got this."

It took me about a year to finish my first book. That was after I've started several stories trying to nail down a mythology and learn to world build.The actual draft flowed out onto paper (computer screen) in about two months, but spent several months in a critique group as I learned the process of revising and self editing.

Tuesday my 23rd book releases. I look back and think, "wow, I did it." I worked my ass off to achieve my dream. The frustration of creating a new world and failing about ten times before I finally get a mythology/world I love. Then rewriting that first book THREE times before it worked. yes, three times. One was a complete rewrite. I scrapped the whole thing and started over. The other two were rewrites to the first half of the story. But I did it. I even singed my second contract with that story.

Guess, what. I suck at spelling and grammar. I've learned a lot over the years and my creativity is growing to heights I only dreamed of. And I'm loving every minute of it.

If you have a dream of doing something, don't ever give up on it. Work for it and reach your dreams and goals.

Hugs,
Lia

No comments:

Post a Comment