Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Moving Day


Howdy pals and gals!
It’s September and back to school. The summer zipped by and I was busy. The latest book in the Evolutioneers Series came out in July (yay!) but the biggest change was Captain Awesome moved in.
The timing also coincided with my tenth year of being in my little condo, so I took the opportunity to purge, purge, purge. I usually sort through the house at least once a year, but this time I underwent a massive reorganizing. Closets, kitchen, the junk drawers (I KNOW!!) everything was sorted and reorganized. I almost broke down when I emptied the laundry room to almost nothing and stared at the mass of stuff in the hallway, but I persevered. Five trips to St. Vincent’s, a run to the dump and a few weeks later, there was room for the Captain to move in.
As one does while purging, I found a few surprises. Buried in my closet was a box all taped up. Written in bold black print were the words “Bad Memories.” I have no idea what’s in the box. I’m going to guess it might be from my divorce. Something I don’t necessarily want to see again, hence the tape, but perhaps important enough to keep in case I need it in an emergency???? No. I didn’t open it. I didn’t throw it out either. Maybe one day I will see inside. Perhaps I’ll toss it. For now it will sit tight in storage. Deep, deep, deep in storage.
There was also my moment with the rocking chair. It’s sixteen years old. Bought while pregnant with my first child. It takes up space in the living for ten years and no one really sits in it unless chair space is tight. There’s nothing wrong with it, just worn and a little squeaky. So before I sent it off for donation, I sat in the chair one last time. 
Holy crap. The memories! I rocked my babies in that chair. Sat with them on my lap and read books and sang them to sleep while in that chair. Of course, the tears hit me hard. Then I started laughing because I was crying, and cried because I was laughing. 
Captain Awesome watched me with a bemused expression on his face. “I’m sorry I’m making you change so much to have me move in,” he said. I assured him that while he was the catalyst of the purge, he wasn’t making me do anything I didn’t want. Please. As if he could make me do anything. *snort
Yes, I was sad about what losing the chair was representing; change, kids growing up, time moving on, but the new things were exciting. We were starting a new chapter in our lives. And once he was all moved in, the house looks and feels as if he’s been there forever. 
So as a new school year begins, don’t be afraid to let go of things from the past. Embrace the new. Revel in the memories and have fun making new ones.
Until next time, y’all!
Anna- The Super Diva 
And check out Instinct at your
favorite eRetailer!


Website- http://annaalexander.net/
Facebook
Twitter
Newsletter
Amazon Page
YouTube 

No comments:

Post a Comment