Monday, July 3, 2017

Long weekends with @elle_rush

Oh, excuse me. Hi there!

I was just enjoying this long weekend. Happy Canada Day weekend, my fellow Canucks.  And early Happy Independence Day, neighbours to the south. I'm sitting in a lawn chair in the oasis that is my backyard, with an ice-cold, tasty adult beverage in one hand and my Kindle in the other. I'm setting an example for others on how to long-weekend properly. It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

Note to self - invest in a hammock. That would be great back here.

I have things I could be doing this weekend. In fact, I did mow the lawn and make a batch of strawberry-rhubarb jam. I'm just not going to kill myself to get the rest of it done. The weeds are doing fine in the flower garden. They'll still be there when I get to them next week. And organizing the storage room is more of a rainy-weekend job, right? If I get an unexpected burst of energy, I'll jump right on that to-do list. I promise.

In the meantime, I want to ensure that your e-reader is well stocked for a full day of lazing about. To keep the theme of the summer blockbuster (in case you had a trip to the movies on the agenda), I have a new bundle out that will transport you directly to Tinseltown, where you'll get three full novels for less than $5.

Now get out there and relax as hard as you can! Happy July long weekend.


SCREEN IDOL - Sydney Richardson didn’t order the Greek god who appeared on her doorstep, but since he’s there, she intends to put him to work at her fundraiser. Chris Peck, one of Hollywood’s top stars, only plans to play along until he gets the chance at the role of a lifetime. But when his audition interferes with the promise he made to Sydney, he’d better hope that Hollywood magic and reality can co-exist.

DRAMA QUEEN - Protecting her family has left actress Layla Andrews scrambling to hold onto her career. Russ Vukovich, her show’s fight coordinator, helps her out of a sticky situation, and slips under her defenses. But when he discovers the truth, the lies that used to protect them could destroy them both.

LEADING MAN - Actor Nick Thurston needs a dance instructor who can keep him from tripping over his own two feet. Ashleigh Jessup fits the bill, but she can’t help falling for him. Things go well until his vindictive ex, who is also Ashleigh’s competition, sabotages their relationship and they have to decide whether or not this was their last dance.


Only $4.99 on Amazon - Kobo - iBooks - Nook


A sneak peek at SCREEN IDOL

      She peeked through the peephole and spied a man in a black tuxedo. A suit she would have ignored, but the shock of a tuxedo woke her up a little. She squinted and took a second look: tall, dark hair, light eyes. He was very handsome in a movie star kind of way. At least, Sydney assumed he was handsome. The fish-eyed view and lack of caffeine might have been coloring her perception. “Who are you?”
      “Your slave for the day.”
       It was much too early for this. “What the hell are you talking about?”
      “I’m Chris Peck.”
      “You look like him. Kinda. Why are you at my house?”
      “I really am Chris Peck. I play Zeus on Olympus. You entered the show’s sweepstakes on the network’s website and won first prize of a Greek slave for the day, namely yours truly. You got a confirmation call to expect your slave from sunrise to sunset today.”
      Her synapses started to fire. Slowly. Olympus was a hit primetime cable drama about a group of Greek gods on Mount Olympus during the decline of Greece’s golden age. It was part Spartacus, part Game of Thrones, and part Hercules. She had submitted a ton of entries to the sweepstakes. They were offering a $1000 DVD library of historically-based television shows and documentaries as second prize. The first place prize never even registered because she wasn’t a diehard fan of the show.
      She watched it semi-regularly. She liked a lot of the actors but despised one in particular, so it came out a wash. To be honest, the only ones she made sure not to miss were the episodes where her favorite drama actor was guest starring as Dionysus. Seeing the defunct FBI show’s once team leader playing the god of sex, drugs, and rock and roll in a toga was a beautiful thing to behold. Sydney enjoyed splashing around in the shallow end of the pool on occasion, and she wasn’t ashamed to admit it.
      She hadn’t paid much attention to the show’s lead actor. In hindsight, that might have been a mistake, because the king of the gods was standing on the other side of her front door, and—from what she could tell—he was heavenly.
      Sydney flipped the deadbolt off and cracked open the door, leaving the security chain on. She rubbed her bleary eyes and repositioned her glasses. It was definitely him. Chris Peck. Zeus. The peephole didn’t do this guy any favors. He was much cuter in person than he looked on television. Taller too. And not in a toga. Whoever had said that a well-tailored suit was to a woman what lingerie was to a man hadn’t been kidding. His tuxedo was giving her some naughty ideas about going back to bed that had nothing to do with an extra hour of shut-eye. It had been a very long while, but she was pretty sure when a clean-cut, brown-haired, hazel-eyed Greek god magically appeared on a woman’s doorstep, sleep was not the first thought that should come to mind. 
     Unfortunately, tingles or no tingles, she had too much on her to-do list to waste any time on a toga party fantasy, let alone on an actual god at the door. Sydney tilted her head and stared at him. “Wow. You really are Chris Peck.”
      She was rewarded with a blinding smile. “And you are Sydney Richardson. At least I hope you are, because if you aren’t this is really embarrassing.”
      “What do you mean I got a call? Nobody called me,” she insisted. If she’d won a prize, they should have at least contacted her to make sure she’d be home for delivery. This was a hell of a delivery.
      “Yes, they did. My assistant says she did. She left a message confirming the date and time. And she sent flowers.”
      “No, she didn’t.”
      “Yes, she did.”
       Tuxedo Boy was going to argue with her before she’d had any coffee? “I’m pretty sure I would have remembered somebody telling me I was going to have a slave show up at the butt crack of dawn on a Saturday,” she snapped. There was no way in hell she would have agreed to this Saturday. Next weekend, or the one after that, would have been much more convenient. Today was absolutely not an option.
      The suicidal actor opened his mouth to defend himself again when Sydney waved him off. “Wait a minute.” It was difficult to push through the fog without any caffeine, but there was something there. “Is your assistant’s name Kristin?”
     “Yes.”
     “There was a message on my machine, on Wednesday, I think. Some girl named Kristin said she was cancelling my regular nine o’clock appointment on Saturday. She didn’t leave a number. Since I don’t know a Kristin, and I didn’t have any regular appointments scheduled, I didn’t worry about it. I think the message is still on my voicemail.” Sydney smiled in victory. She had a memory like a steel trap. It was rusted shut on occasion, but it was working fine this morning.
      “Oh, crap.”
      “What?”
       “It sounds like my fight trainer got a dozen roses and a note saying I was looking forward to my day of servitude.”
       She wasn’t pleased to be awake, and this whole waste of time was a pain in the ass, but that was pretty funny. “Maybe she likes roses.”
      “His name is Russ, and he’s former navy. I’m thinking not. So how can I serve you this morning?”



No comments:

Post a Comment