Monday, April 4, 2016

Batman vs Superman- You knew this was coming

I know. You’ve all been waiting to hear what I thought about Batman v Superman. I’m certain you haven’t been able to think of anything else until you’ve heard my opinion. J

So what did I think of the movie? I liked it. Most of it, anyway. But like Man of Steele, the director once again veered off course too many times to make me go, “Yes! This is the best.”

BvS takes place almost two years after Man of Steele and the aborted world domination plan of General Zod. During that battle, Bruce Wayne was enroute to his company offices in Metropolis yet arrived too late to save most of his employees. Hence the seeds of his dislike of Superman are sowed.

The overall arc of the movie centers around Superman, who is struggling with maintaining his dual identity, being held unofficially on trial by the world. A man with god-like powers who answers to no one. How do you hold accountable someone with such power? A very good question in deed. So good in fact, that that is the basic premise of Marvel’s Civil War series which will soon be on the screen with Captain America- Civil War out next month. It is Bruce Wayne who believes he is the only person who can put Superman in his place.

At least I think that is his reasoning. Bruce’s motivation wasn’t made exactly clear, and that theory makes the most sense to me.

And thus, one of the many issues I had with BvS. Lack of motivation. Clark’s you understand from the get go. Bruce not so much. And Lex? Haven’t a clue.

Second issue- The filmmakers didn’t stick to one storyline. Of course not. That seems to be a trend with every DC movie. They threw in Wonder Woman. Why? Was the fight scene with her, Batman, and Superman epic? Yes. It was totally awesome!! But her presence was completely unnecessary. The Justice League could have been foreshadowed so less obtrusively. Lex Luther, again, not exactly sure what his purpose was except to be an opponent Superman and Batman could join forces to fight. Again, could have been executed much better.

And what the hell was Lois doing at the dock during the epic battle? She had absolutely no reason to be there. None. At all. And I’m not just saying that because I’m not a Lois fan. She truly had no purpose.

My companion for the evening was the Romi to my Michelle, Danielle Monsch. At one point she commented, “Why is it so dreary? Isn’t there any happiness?” The funny thing that struck me about that statement was as a Gotham fan, BvS is a bright sunny day in comparison. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is sad that bleak is the best anyone in the DC world can hope for.

So what did I like about the movie? Henry was dreamy. In my opinion, a fantastic representative of the ‘S.’ Love him. Love him! Ben was a decent Batman. Bitter, slightly jaded, a little self-righteous. A middle aged Bruce Wayne. Spot on. Didn’t understand how at his age, the exploits of Batman are still a mystery, and how people didn’t recognize Bruce Wayne while on the street. Seriously, if I’m a reporter at a party and Paul Allen or Bills Gates walked into a room. I’d recognize them.

I also liked how the massive destruction was scaled back from Man of Steel. It was still excessive, but the number of causalities was considerably less. When the fists started to finally fly, Danielle was concerned when I started giggling and clapping with excitement. I’d give the fighting an overall grade of B+.

When the story stayed in its lane, BvS was great. Unfortunately, the director swerved into oncoming traffic too many times to bring this movie victoriously over the finish line. And don’t get me started on the ending. Seriously?

Final thought- Go see it and form your own opinion. Definitely worth a matinee showing.


Until next time!


Anna- The Super Diva
Website- http://annaalexander.net/
Facebook
Twitter

Newsletter
Amazon Page
YouTube 

Instagram- annam.alexander

6 comments:

  1. As a die hard comic book fan from the 80's, I was super excited about this movie being made. Mostly because it has its roots in one of the greatest graphic novels of all time, the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.
    That book clearly explains Batman's motivation for wanting to defeat Superman, as well as makes his ultimate victory over the Man of Steel not only plausible, but inevitable.
    If you have not read it, I highly suggest you do. It might make the movie a bit more enjoyable in hindsight.
    And if you do not want to buy it the book, maybe your fellow Diva Jenn will let you borrow her copy. ;)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part of the movie is what I wished they kept the focus on. I'll have to check out out. I've always enjoyed Frank Miller.

      Delete
  2. As a comic fan from way back (to clarify, that's WAAAY back), I have been concerned about the DC movies in general, and this is a great example. The cynical take from the Marvel movies' successes resulted in this dreary, dark storytelling, and it's sad. Although Henry is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Henry as Superman. And I love him as Clark. But yeah, I dying think I'd want to live in either city.

      Delete