Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Year's Resolutions?

With New Year's right around the corner, I find myself debating making resolutions. I do this every year. Do I want to start the New Year off with a set of specific goals or do I want to leave myself wiggle room to work on problems that hit me out of the blue right around April?

I want to be healthy, happy, and productive. Who doesn't? That's not the issue. The issue, with me, is as soon as I make a decision to eat better or workout more I have to find a way to get out of it. Yes, I'm that mature.

So I've decided to go with five areas of my life that could use a little improvement.

5. Writing:

I'm not going to promise to write a specific amount each and every day. That's a fool-proof recipe for failure for me. Sure, that works for some. And if you're one of those people, I think you're amazing. But 2015 was a rough writing year for me. It actually started in 2014 and spilled over into 2015. Regardless, I can't let things I have no control over control me. So in 2016 I will write....more.

4. Organization:

I need to get  my house and my life organized. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this yet. I have a great calendar app on my phone that I do use. So that part is covered. But I seem to collect papers, and books, and, well, just stuff. I mean, I'm not going to be on an episode of Hoarders anytime soon but this still has to stop. I've started using housework as a regular excuse not to write and that's unacceptable. I think I need to do a purge to help fix this one.

3. Health:

I'm a pretty healthy person but I've noticed my energy is lagging lately. Could be dealing with the housework and clutter, could be because I turn forty this year. That's right. I'm going to be forty. Not thirty-nine for the second time. I worked hard to make it to this age. Several of my friends and family were not as fortunate as I. I'm owning it. But I think I do  need to look into foods and activities that help boost energy. I'm not getting any younger.

2. Make Over?

New Year, new look? This one is a maybe. I've pretty much looked the same for the the last....well....couple of decades. I did dye my hair red once, but it didn't have much of a punch. I dyed it in the fall when my hair tends to turn reddish anyway. I always get the same hair cut and I wear the same clothes. Seriously, I have jeans that are ten years old that I still wear. Their comfortable. But maybe it's time to shake things up and step out of my comfort zone? This one is still under consideration. New looks are expensive and there is something to be said for being comfortable with who you are.

1. Go on More Adventures:

With my kids getting older, it hits me that in a couple years my husband and I will have the house to ourselves in the foreseeable future. For so long, I've been in mommy mode that the light at the end of the tunnel is looking interesting. But why wait? They're old enough for my husband and I to get out and go on adventures.

So what about you? Do you do resolutions? I tried to keep mine as a guideline without being suffocating. I don't have any actually hard and fast goals but just enough to (hopefully) nudge me in the direction I'd like my life to go. Either way, I wish you all happy and healthy 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment