Thursday, October 23, 2014

Reader Conferences Are Always The Best

Writing can be a solitary life. Most of my colleagues are hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Our water cooler talks take place on Facebook, Twitter, and email. Which is why conferences are always the highlight of my year. It's the one time I get to see so many of my on-line friends face to face. And writers have tons of conventions to choose from.

There are the mega industry conferences, publishing house conferences, smaller more local industry conference, special interest conferences, author sponsored conferences... The list goes on and on. And I've been to enough of them to know which ones are my favorite.

So which is it? I know, the title of this blog is one huge spoiler. But...

The reader focused conferences!

Authors love readers. And maybe not for the reason most people think. We love readers because we are readers. They're our type of people. They get us. All of my royalties (and then a little extra) go to my book addiction. I've gone days without showering because I couldn't tear myself away from a book long enough to shampoo and rinse. Don't judge me. Sometimes you just have to know how the story ends. I've sobbed hysterically in public places because a book I'm reading has captured me so completely that I forget I'm in the doctor's office. And I've laughed so hard that my kids have actually expressed concern. So when we get into a room with other readers, we know we're going to get to talk about our favorite subject: books!

That's the reason I'm so excited to let you all know about a brand new reader focused convention coming to my neck of the woods. This coming May, An Austin Author Experience kicks off for the first time ever! And some of my favorite authors are going to be there. I'm probably going to have a couple fan girl moments and I don't even care who notices.

If you're over eighteen years old and are going to be in the Austin area from May 22-24th, I encourage you to check this event out. The signing is free. But a VIP pass includes a VIP reader book bag, and access to the AAA Karaoke Party and open bar. Food, drinks, and music are all included. And there is a Friday night Meet and Mingle with attending authors which is open to attendees and readers.

Want to know more? I've got you covered. Here's a link to the event's website http://austinauthoraffair.blogspot.com

And a list of the authors who are going to be there: http://austinauthoraffair.blogspot.com/p/authors-list.html

And a link to the hotel if you wanted to book a room: Hotel!

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to the Austin Author Affair! Austin, TX is a fun place to visit, so plan a Girl's Get-Away. Come meet and party with the authors and enjoy all Austin has to offer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's going to be so much fun. I can't wait :)

      Delete