Thursday, August 14, 2014

Kate Hill: Why Do I Write What I Write? What Are Your Creative Outlets?

Writers are often asked where they get their ideas and why they write the kind of stories they write. I’ve always said that story ideas can come from just about anywhere--a person, a place or even an object.

The answer to why do I write what I write is a bit more specific. While I have written a variety of heroes, I definitely lean toward flawed characters with something devastating or even sinister in their past. I strongly prefer antiheroes or reformed villains and I love stories with a lot of action, drama and angst. My favorite moments are often scenes of comfort, when the man or woman who is always the proverbial island realizes they want and need support and affection.

I originally started writing romances because for me there was never enough blood, guts and angst in most of the romance books I read in the past (nowadays there is thankfully more variety in the romance genre). Many times for me the heroes simply weren’t dark enough. As the kind of person who often goes to the movies and roots for the villain instead of the hero, it’s needless to say I’m usually disappointed when my favorite characters are either killed off or don’t get a chance to grow simply because it’s not their story.

The reason I write the kind of stories I write is because they’re what I want to read. I want the complex villain or the antihero who walks the line between good and evil to get his or her shot at redemption. I enjoy stories with lots of danger and turmoil, but when it’s all over, the characters get a happily ever after.

Corny? Maybe.

Dramatic? Definitely.

But it’s what I enjoy and I hope that other readers who like the same type of stories will find pleasure in mine as well.

What kind of stories do you enjoy and do you write what you love, whether published or for your own pleasure? If you don’t write, what is your outlet for the kind of stories you love but can’t always find? Do you express your fantasies through art, music or something else?

Alpha Delicious
by Kate Hill
(Box Set)

On Amazurn, a man's place is in the home. Barefoot, bare-chested, with a baby in one hand and a dishtowel in the other. Dominant males are banished to the Alpha Islands where women lusting after rare alphas indulge in sexual fantasies and gladiatorial sports. Cultures collide when two Earth women unexpectedly find themselves on Alpha Island and are rescued by handsome twin gladiators, Rock and Iron. At the same time, Amazurnian scientists Passioniera and Seductress are transported to Earth where they meet twin MMA fighters Ben and Cole.

Passion ignites when top gladiator Maximus meets Desirious, a former harem boy, in combat. The one-time adversaries unite under the strict hand of Max's wife and trainer, Lace.

Undercover reporter Silky falls in love with sexy former gladiator Shawn-Dan Dawn who is imprisoned at the royal palace of Amazurn.

These powerful women and their sexy alpha mates must choose between logic and love.

This Box Set contains the previously released novellas Puppies Bite, Rock and a Hard Place, Kittens Scratch, Maximum Desire, and Silky's Master.

About Kate

Always a fan of romance and the paranormal, Kate Hill started writing over twenty years ago for pleasure. Her first story, a short erotic vampire tale, was accepted for publication in 1996. Since then she has sold over one hundred short stories, novellas and novels.

When she's not working on her books, Kate enjoys reading, working out and spending time with her family and pets.

Kate also writes under the pen name Saloni Quinby.

She enjoys hearing from readers and she can be contacted at katehill@sprintmail.com. Visit Kate online at http://www.kate-hill.com.


1 comment: